One of the most exciting experiences in golf is when you can finally hit that 400-yard long, amazing drive. While the long game isn’t the only thing important in golf, we can arguably say it’s the most fun and attractive.
On the other hand, one of the worst feelings in golf is when you hit that off-center drive, especially when you know for a fact that you can actually do it better. Long and accurate drives can bring us confidence throughout our overall game, and can actually improve your overall game and lower our scores.
This is why choosing the right driver according to your game and your needs is critical.
As we know, women golfers have different needs than their men counterparts. Men’s drivers are heavier and typically longer, which will hinder the female golfer from making the optimal swing.
With that being said, there are several essential factors you should look for when choosing a golf driver: the weight of the club, the weight of the face, loft angle, MOI, and others. These factors are what makes choosing the perfect driver a confusing and often daunting task, and to start this buying guide, let us first discuss them.
Best Ladies Golf Drivers for Beginners
If you are In a hurry...
Please use this table with the Amazon link below to find the best detail and pricing for 5 Best Ladies Golf Drivers for Beginners.
PGX Offset Golf Driver
Callaway Golf 2018 Women's Rogue Driver
TaylorMade SIM MAX Women's Driver
Cleveland Golf Women's Launcher Turbo Driver
Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver
Our Best Pick
Important Factors When Choosing Ladies Golf Driver
1. Shaft Length
Women, as we know, are naturally shorter on average than their male counterparts. The average height of women in America is around 5 feet and 4 inches, as opposed to 5’9” for men. Ergonomically, ladies’ drivers should be around 1 to 1.5-inch shorter than men’s. The standard driver length for men is 45 inches, so for ladies, you should look for a driver that’s around 43.6 to 44” if you are around 5’4” tall.
Of course, if you are taller, you can get a driver with a longer shaft. However, even if you are taller than most women, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should get a men’s driver since there are also other factors we’d need to consider.
2. Loft Angle
Since the average women have smaller muscular mass and lower overall strength, this will translate into a slower average swing speed and ball speed, which will translate into a shorter driving distance.
The average swing speed for amateur male golfers when driving is around 93 mph, while the average swing speed for amateur women golfers is only 65 mph. This is why a higher loft angle is required in a ladies’ driver, allowing a higher ball launch to compensate for the slower swing speed to produce optimal distance.
3. Shaft Flex
Shaft flex (short of flexibility) is closely related to swing speed. As a general rule of thumb, the slower your swing speed, the more shaft flexibility you’ll need, and vice versa. So, what kind of shaft flex would you need? You can check the chart below to determine which shaft flex you will need according to your swing speed. You can go to your local club to get your swing speed monitored, or alternatively, you can use various golf launch monitor apps on your iOS or Android smartphone to check your swing speed (a lot of them are free).
Swing Speed (mph)
Ball Speed (mph)
63 – 76
100 – 110
77 – 92
110 – 139
93 – 107
140 – 160
Most amateur female golfers will need L or A shaft flex, but the table above is just a guideline and you can certainly use a different shaft flex grade than what’s recommended according to your preferences.
Many modern drivers offer various forms of adjustability so you can personalize the driver according to your preferences, course conditions, or specific needs.
Different manufacturers might offer different technologies, some are just gimmicks and some can be extremely game-changing. Yet, there are two types of popular adjustability features in newer drivers:
1. Adjustable/movable weights
As the name suggests, this feature comes in the form of small weights on the driver’s head (typically on the sole) that you can move/reposition.
The basic idea here is by moving adjustable weights on the driver’s head, we can manipulate the driver’s center of gravity position, which will, in turn, affects distance, launch trajectory, and spin generation. Some brands also offer movable weight features that (according to their claims) can help correct slice or hook.
There are actually ongoing debates about the impact of movable weights on the driver’s performance, and although the feature might sound intimidating at first, you can actually get a driver with movable weights, simply follow the instruction manual (or leave the weight in its original place), and get away with it.
2. Adjustable hosel
With this feature, you can use the hosel to increase or decrease the driver’s loft. The general principle here is that increasing loft will ‘close’ the face of the driver, which will cause the ball flight to be higher, and vice versa when you decrease the loft and ‘open’ the face vertically. Some drivers also allow us to change the face angle via the balance points on the sole.
Also, keep in mind that as you change the loft, you will also change the lie of the club’s face. Lie, will alter the ball flight horizontally: increasing the lie angle and the club will produce a fade, and reducing the lie will create a draw. So, if you have a tendency to slice the ball, you can use this feature to ‘counter’ your tendency and produce straighter shots.
It’s a scientific fact that men have more muscle mass than women, which allows for stronger and faster swing. Many research has suggested that the lower level of muscle strength is the cause of slower swing speeds of female golfers.
To counter this issue, ladies should look for lighter clubs with both lighter head and lighter/more flexible shafts.
Modern drivers now use advanced composite materials or ultra-light materials to allow the head to be lighter but harder (to maximize ball speed) and more durable. Shaft materials such as graphite also allow the shaft to be lightweight with more flexion.
Forgiveness refers to the performance of the driver when the player’s shot is off-center. For example, a driver may produce 250-yard with a perfectly centered shot, but only produce 100-yard when we strike the ball slightly off-center. On the other hand, other drivers may be able to produce 200-yard drives with the same off-center shot (more forgiving).
Different manufacturers might have different approaches to achieving more forgiveness, but generally, all players can benefit from having more forgiveness, as long as it doesn’t sacrifice the club’s performance in other areas.
Another important factor to consider is that women golfers naturally have smaller, more delicate hands with a weaker grip. So, female golfers’ grips are typically not as secure as men’s. We can accommodate this fact by choosing the right grip characteristic to allow a more secure grip and better performance at the tee.
We’d recommend using undersized grips for female golfers, as they typically fit smaller hands better. Also, look for grips with rougher textures that can help hold your hands in place during your swing.
Choosing the right grip, although important for any club, is arguably even more important for drivers that require significant force and momentum during a swing. If our grip isn’t properly secured, your swing can easily send your driver flying and might hurt others around you (and yourself).
Ladies’ Drivers VS Men’s Drivers: Key Differences
Below, we will list some key differences between men’s drivers and ladies’ drivers so you don’t accidentally buy a men’s driver and can make an informed decision with your purchase.
The shafts on ladies’ drivers are typically 2 to 3 inches shorter than that of a men’s driver. For taller women, if you can’t find a suitable length, our recommendation is to choose a lightweight men’s driver and change the shaft’s flex as required. It’s better to use a heavier club rather than having to bend over in your stance with every swing, which might affect both your accuracy and distance performances.
Ladies’ drivers typically offer more shaft flex to generate more ball speed without adding extra weight on the clubhead. As discussed, women’s swing is generally slower than men’s, which will cause the club to make less force during impact. By making the shaft lighter and more flexible, for example by using graphite material instead of steel or titanium, we can compensate for the slower swing speed without sacrificing the durability of the shaft.
The grip on a ladies’ driver is typically narrower than the shaft of a men’s driver of a similar length. This is to accommodate the naturally smaller hands.
The weight of the clubhead would affect swing speed. Ladies’ drivers typically feature smaller and lighter heads than men’s to compensate for some of the difference in muscular strength and swing speed between female and male golfers.
The loft of a ladies’ driver is typically higher than men’s drivers at around 12 to 13 degrees of loft. Men’s drivers, on the other hand, generally feature lofts between 9 and 11 degrees. This will allow a higher flight trajectory to prevent the ball from landing too fast before it has reached its maximum potential distance, again, to compensate for the slower swing speed.
Head Design for More Forgiveness
Manufacturers often feature unique designs in their ladies’ drivers to manipulate the center of gravity (CG) placement and increasing MOI (Moment of Inertia), the face’s sweet spot, to promote better forgiveness. This will also effectively increase the loft of the club’s face to make it easier for ladies in hitting long and straight tee shots.
All golfers arguably will benefit from having more forgiveness, but this is especially important for beginners that are often struggling with making consistent centered shots.
Top 5 Best Ladies Golf Driver for Beginners
5. PGX Offset Golf Driver
- Adjustability: adjustable hosel to increase or lower the loft spending on the golfer’s need. We can also add either 2 grams of 0.5 grams of adjustable weight to manipulate the head’s CG.
- Lightweight: ultra-lightweight with 199 grams head weight to allow higher head speed during your swing
- Sweet Spot: massive sweet spot with its 460cc head, maximum forgiveness during off-center hits
- Material: graphite material to make the product lightweight but durable and flexible.
Pros and Cons
If you are on a budget and simply don’t want to spend too much money on a new driver, the PGX by Pinemeadow can be a great choice. Features a very large sweet spot with a very good amount of forgiveness, great for beginners.
Offset design also means you’ll get straighter shots and will help you improve your accuracy as you’ll hit the ball more squarely.
- Offset anti-slice Technology
- 460Cc clubhead
- Headcover included ; The matte black finish and white and green gives the driver a clean and sleek look.
- Club 1
- The offset of the driver helps you square the ball at impact. Having a square face at impact is important and will result in straighter drivers.
4. Callaway Golf 2018 Women's Rogue Driver
- 2-piece construction: 2-piece construction designed for distance with less side spin to achieve straighter shots. A great go-to golf ball for beginners and golfers with slower swing speeds
- Lothane cover: TaylorMade’s unique lothane cover for enhanced feel while also promoting durability and resilience.
- Low compression: 60 compression rating, lower than the average low-compression rating of 80. Lower compression allows better distance performance.
- Dimples: 342 dimples to minimize air resistance and drag to maximize distance.
- Affordable: reasonably-priced being a TaylorMade golf ball, you can practice a lot without breaking the bank and compromising much on the quality
Pros and Cons
The TaylorMade Distance Plus is a pretty affordable golf ball with great quality, specifically built to maximize distance with 342 dimples, 2-piece design and extremely low compression. Great for players with 70 mph swing speeds that want to maximize distance.
- Exceptional Ball Speed from The Jailbreak Effect
- More MOI and Forgiveness from Our Triaxial Carbon Crown
- Industry-leading Boeing Aero Package
- Premium Shaft Selection at Multiple Weights
3. TaylorMade SIM MAX Women's Driver
- Aerodynamic Asymmetric Sole and Inertia Generator: designed to allow faster head speed during your swing to produce more ball speed and distance. The added rear weight also allows a higher MOI for improved forgiveness.
- Speed Injected technology: improving ball speed across the face by calibrating all elements of the head to the threshold of the legal speed limit (optimized COR).
- Twist Face: corrective face angle allowing more forgiveness, compensating for mis-hits by allowing straighter shots while providing a larger sweet spot for more confidence.
- Multi-material construction: composite head consisting of titanium, steel, and carbon. Weight is optimally positioned to allow high MOI and ultra-low and back Center of Gravity (CG) placement
- 2-Degree Loft Sleeve: provides personalization and adjustability to optimize the club according to the golfer’s preferences and needs.
Pros and Cons
The TaylorMade SIM Max driver (and the overall TaylorMade SIM lineup) have been really popular throughout 2020. SIM stands for ‘Shape in Motion’, which refers to the Twist Face technology, which allows maximum distance performance while allowing the club to be forgiving.
Packed with the current state-of-the-art technologies like its titanium, carbon, and steel composite material, ultra low-and-back CG, and other technologies, the SIM Max driver is simply one of the best ladies golf drivers for beginners and veterans alike.
- Revolutionary New Shape with Aerodynamic Asymmetric Sole and Inertia Generator: Designed to provide faster club head speed for more ball speed and distance while the rear weight creates high MOI for improved forgiveness
- Speed Injected technology for intelligently optimized C. O. R. where golfers typically hit it: Improves ball speed across the face by calibrating each head to the threshold of the legal speed limit
- Twist Face technology with slightly larger face area: Uses corrective face angle face designed to overcome inherent golfer tendencies on miss-hits and to produce straighter shots while providing a larger face for more confidence
- Multi-Material Construction with Carbon, Titanium and Steel: Creates a head design where weight is positioned precisely in the head for ultra-low CG and high MOI
- 2-degree Loft Sleeve : Provides adjustability and personalization to optimize the club for each golfer’s trajectory and face angle preferences
2. Cleveland Golf Women's Launcher Turbo Driver
- Turbocharged cup face: the new turbocharged cup face and variable face, allowing optimal COR over a larger impact area. This allows for a much higher ball speed for more distance.
- Deep weighting: mass savings, optimized for significant increases to MOI to deliver more ball speed
- HI Bore Crown: redesigned HI Bore crown, lowering the center of gravity by 2 mm for a more optimal flight trajectory and easier launch
- Ultralight hosel: both internal and external weight reduction, redistributed low and deep for a higher launch and more forgiveness.
- Counter-balanced shaft design: optimized for easier launch. The center of gravity is relocated nearer to the grip, allowing additional head mass for increased MOI and forgiveness.
Pros and Cons
While Cleveland is more well-known for its wedges, the Women’s Launcher HB is actually an excellent ladies driver that is also affordable while considering its great set of features. Its design emphasizes distance, launch height, and forgiveness.
A unique feature to consider is its lightweight hosel design, with the redistribution of the clubhead’s mass not only allows an easier, higher launch but also promotes more forgiveness at impact. However, it doesn’t offer any adjustable hosel feature to save weight.
- Turbocharged cup face: The new turbocharged cup face, enhanced with a new variable face, provides higher COR over a larger impact area for increased ball speeds and more distance.
- HI bore Crown: The redesigned HI Bore Crown lowers the center-of-gravity (CG) by 2. 2mm, enabling a lower CG position for optimal launch conditions.
- Deep weighting: discretionary mass savings positioned for significant increases to MOI, delivering more speed.
- Ultralight hostel: external and internal weight reduction, redistributed low and deep for a higher launch and more forgiveness.
- Counter balanced shaft design: specifically designed for the launcher HB Turbo driver, the MIYAZAKI C. Kuma center of gravity is relocated higher toward the grip, enabling additional head mass for increased MOI.
1. Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver
- Flash Face: Callaway’s Flash Face technology, helping golfers get more ball speed for more distance. Flash Face was designed by AI, the first known AI implementation in the golf industry, to create an optimal, radically-designed face.
- Jailbreak: featuring two internal bars that stiffen to stabilize the crown and sole during impact. This moves the impact load on the face to encourage faster ball speed.
- Trixie Carbon Crown: saves weight that’s redistributed in the clubhead to increase MOI and forgiveness on misfits
- Adjustable Weight: adjustable perimeter weighing for more versatility in creating draws, fades, or correcting tendencies to allow straighter shots
Pros and Cons
The Callaway Golf Epic Flash Driver, is a multi-award-winning driver for women, featuring Callaway’s signature Jailbreak technology for faster ball speed and further distance performance. Also featuring Callaway’s AI-powered, new Flash Face design to allow maximum distance and forgiveness.
Extraordinary forgiveness during off-center hits, and also features its 16-gram movable weight to allow extra versatility in correcting your tendencies. Simply one of the best ladies golf drivers for beginners with cutting-edge features.
- The Callaway Epic Flash Driver employs a new technology called Flash Face to help golfers get more ball speed for more distance.
- Flash Face’s sophisticated architecture was created by Artificial Intelligence – the first known instance of using A.I.in the golf industry – to create a radically different face.
- Jailbreak Technology features two internal bars that stiffen and stabilize the crown and sole, placing more impact load on the face to promote faster ball speed.
- A new lighter Trixie Carbon Crown saves weight that’s redistributed within the head to raise MOI for exceptional forgiveness on off-center hits.
- Adjustable Perimeter Weighting gives golfers the power to easily promote draws, fades or a straighter flight.
Selecting just the best ladies’ golf driver for beginners is a very daunting task. There are so many different products available in the market, and each product offers its unique take on making the club more forgiving for high-handicappers while ensuring great distance performance without sacrificing feel and sound.
For our absolute best pick, although admittedly this is very hard, we’ll go for Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver. It’s not the cheapest driver available today, but it does feature some great technologies like its AI-designed Flash Face for more distance and forgiveness.
However, that’s not saying the others on this list are bad products. We are confident that based on our tests, these five golf balls we have reviewed above are indeed the best available in the market today.